Monday, October 21, 2013

Carrot Fritters

Frying Carrot Fritters
If you ever find yourself wondering if you should make carrot fritters, the answer is yes! I've been keeping the fridge stocked with fresh carrots and cauliflower lately, so they've ended up becoming a regular part of dinner. I had a rack of ribs slow cooking in the oven and I wanted to do something a little different with the carrots. A quick Google search led me to a recipe site, and the recipe for carrot fritters jumped off of the page at me. I used that recipe as a base, and came up with this modified version. This served myself and my husband, with plenty of leftovers to take to lunch of freeze.

Ingredients:


4 large carrots
1 stalk celery
2 pieces fresh garlic clove
1 jalapeƱo pepper
1 egg
 a splash of coconut milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flour
salt & pepper
coconut oil to fry in


1/2 cup flour
Corn meal (for breading, if desired)

Directions:

Carrot FrittersWash and peel carrots. Cut into pieces and put into food processor. Pulse until very fine. If I weren't going to use the food processor, I would have just grated the carrots. Put carrots into large bowl.

Wash celery, cut and put in food processor. Wash jalapeno. Cut in half, remove and discard seeds. Add pepper and garlic to food processor with celery, pulse until very fine. Add to bowl with carrots and stir together.

Add egg, breadcrumbs, flour, salt & pepper to vegetable mixture. Stir until combined.

In a large skillet, heat a couple tablespoons of your frying oil. I love coconut oil, so I fried my fritters in that. Heat the pan to low-medium.

Put the 1/2 cup flour on a plate with a little corn meal, mix together. Depending on how wet your vegetable mix is, you will either form a patty or just grab a "ball" of the mixture and drop it on the flour. Gently flip so both sides get a little flour on them. I did not put a thick coating of flour. My mixture was really too wet to make patties, so I would plop a ball into the flour, flip, coat, pick up the ball and drop it as gently as I could into the hot pan, then flatten it in the pan to about a half inch thick. Let cook until golden on that side, then grab a spatula and flip, cooking until golden on both sides. When you remove them from the pan, put them on a plate with a napkin to let drain. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment